Following on from my Siskin linoprint, I have finally finished carving the first block of a Dunnock linocut.
Its about a5 size. And now I’ve carved it, I need to decide what to do next. I hear you cry, but didn’t you have a plan!? Well yes I had in mind what I thought I wanted this print to look like. But now I have printed the proof of this first layer, the black background again is very striking.
In my idea I would carve it out of the surrounding lino. But leaving it stark black and white with the inky blackness behind has an appeal. I found this with the siskin print, so left the block so I could print it like that as another option.
Any who, decisions to be made and my troble is I usually quite like all the options so find it hard to choose. I should do some sampling to help me decide, but that usually leads to me being distracted and not finishing original idea. Arrrgggh . These are all nice problems to have though, and this is just a nice place to write then down and have a think.
Putting things into the public domain makes me finish things more so than if I don’t share them , so thanks person reading this 😂
This print I started back in spring, based on flowers that were my nan’s, though she has passed away a few years ago now. I find plants and nature very comforting for their demonstration of life and death and life again. This was about 5 layers and 7 or 8 different colours ( I lost count) and I am happy with the final result , the vibrant pink colour and the shape of the leaves were the main things I wanted to showcase in this print.
Some of the photos from the printing process….
The final print is just a bit smaller than A3, entirely printed by hand at home, using my trusty spoon. I used traditional grey lino and oil based inks.
It is an edition of 6 variable prints ( the last layer I changed the colours for some of them) and if you really like it you can find it on my etsy shop.
Also available to see it in the flesh at Painswick Artburst event , from the 17th of august!
soooo this summer holiday I have tried to finish off a few projects that have been lingering.
One of them is my book called A Magpie Rhyme , it is an artist book (which is just a hand made book by an artist) . I finally made the last few in the edition ( only 10 in it ) and I wanted to make a video about the process.
I have done both of those things so yay to me 😀 , the video is up on you tube now.
I missed out the actual printing of the linos, but I think people can understand what that might look like. Putting the video together and I forgot how many parts of the process there are!
Any way would love you to have a watch and let me know what you think,
As a project for the artists book club I am a member of, we had to make some sort of folded book. This was my attempt at an accordion illustrated book based on one of the traditional rhymes about magpies.
I made lino prints for all the black parts then painted in the rest with inks and watercolour, with the aims of an edition of 10 I have made 4 so far…