I have posted a new video on my YouTube channel. I finally finished putting my pasta machine press together and thought I would try out printing from plants with it, and why not do it in the garden as it is a very mobile press!
So please check it out if interested.(Link below) I think the pasta press works remarkably well for soft thin items, like you would mono print with. The idea to mount it on its side came from Snake artist who has great fun art videos on you tube.
I was invited to attend a little gathering at the Print co operative I recently joined, to meet with some of the other new members. Tea ,chatting and a bit of print making, jolly good Sunday afternoon I think !
This is a detail of one of three (soon to be four) large copper plates ( about A2 size) that I am working on at the moment, and the first proof of it after etching to add more lines. they are going well if slowly!
I have tried to exaggerate the perspectives of the trees to emphasise some of the extraordinary shapes they make, and have been using a new process for me, sugar lift then spit biting.
I am finding myself enjoying dry point marks much more than normal etching marks on copper, this was a little trial to see how pressure effects the line quality, and I quite liked the outcome, and I could work into it more perhaps adding tone, what do you think?
These are two prints of the same etching, which was a drawing of a Persian Ironwood tree (Parrotia persica) I did while at Westonbirt.
I kept seeing these trees while I was there and going up to them and wondering what they were, and soon realised most of the time the small tangled tree with reddish branches in question was Persian Ironwood.
I loved the name, sounded exotic and always sent images off in my brain of warmer places, which was nice in the snow.
I decided to draw it onto an etching plate, but the problem was all the branches! they don’t seem to grow in any ordered way at all, so i did not try to sit there and untangle the branches before my eyes, I just drew what my eyes made out from the tangle. The first print is just as it is , the second on the right I left a bit more ink on the plate, and then rubbed it off where some of the branches were.